CAFE2U BLOG

Back to all post »

11 Facts You Might Not Know About Coffee

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Coffee is the second most consumed drink in the whole world after water, and yet there’s still so many things we could say about it that you might not have heard before (or may have forgotten altogether). If you’re looking at coffee vans for sale or if you’re just a coffee love, here are some of the many, many coffee facts we’ve unearthed, and we’d love to hear about any more you know too!

  1. 1) Apparently (and that’s a big apparently – this happened in around the 9th century, so stories aren’t terribly accurate), Ethiopian shepherds noticed the effects of caffeine after it made their goats particularly sprightly when they ate the berries. That same effect is why so many of us start our days with a hot cup, and why lots of people look into a coffee van for sale to help provide this service. Well noted, goats!

  2. 2) Before it was drank, coffee was eaten. By combining coffee berries with fat, African tribes made edible balls of energy. Practical maybe, but we think we’ll stick with the drinks for now.

  3. 3) In 1675 there was more than 3000 coffeehouses in England. They were often used for deep discussions and thoughts on religious and political issues. This practise was so common that King Charles II attempted to ban them. In the 16th century, Muslim rulers also attempted to ban coffee.  Thank goodness that didn’t last! At the beginning of last year it was estimated that 800,000 British adults visit a coffee shop at least four times per week!

  4. 4) Coffee is a berry, not a bean. Okay, we might have skimmed over that one, but coffee starts out as a bright red berry with a seed inside. It’s the seed we roast and grind, so there’s no beans involved at all. Coffee trees can grow up to 30 feet tall during their 60-70 year life span, but on farms they’re cultivated to 10 feet so they can be picked with ease.

  5. 5) Arabica is the most common variety of coffee in the world, and makes up 70% of the market. The other 30% is Robusta coffee, which has a more bitter taste but is also much richer in caffeine.

  6. 6) The world’s first coffee house opened in Arabia in the 16th century. The first in Europe opened in Venice in 1625, and the first in America opened in Boston in 1676. Cafe2U’s first coffee van for sale started trading in Sydney in 2000 – and we haven’t looked back since.  

  7. 7) Espresso is a way of preparing coffee, and not a blend, roast or bean. It involves shooting high pressure hot water through finely ground, tightly packed coffee, in order to produce a strong shot. This is how you’ll be preparing your drinks if you’re looking at Cafe2U’s coffee vans for sale, and it’s likely to be how your coffee was prepared if you’ve visited a coffee shop anytime recently.

  8. 8) Over 1400 million cups of coffee are drunk around the world each day, but the vast majority of that takes place at breakfast.

  9. 9) New York is America’s most coffee loving state, drinking 7 times more than any other city. No wonder they call it the city that never sleeps!

  10. 10) Only certain parts of the work have the right conditions for coffee to grow. This area, which is between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, is known as the coffee belt, and Hawaii is the only state which commercially produces the beans. Africa, Brazil and Colombia produce 40% of the world’s coffee between them.

  11. 11) Research has suggested coffee beans could be used to replace fossil fuels and for use in engines in the future.


Back to all post »